Monday, October 5, 2009

Death of Summer...a trip to Connecticut

Being that this is a little beyond the scope of NYC and the outer boroughs, and that there's not easy way to get there without a car, I'll keep this short.

I love New England. So this weekend, I took a trip to Noank, CT. This is a small part of Mystic...of Mystic Pizza fame. Past New London (hello the U. S. Coast Guard Academy) on I-95, almost in Rhode Island.


This is a quaint, New England shoreline town. Sleepy and full of old money, it speaks to the New England Prep school kid in me. OK, but seriously, I spent the afternoon taking in the rocky coastline, leaves on the cusp of bursting into full fall reds and oranges and having a late lunch at Abbott's Lobster in the Rough.

What was awesome about this lunch is that I was with 4 other people and could have a little of everything. On the menu: 6 oysters on the half-shell, 6 clams on the half-shell, The "Abbotizer" special (don't get excited! just some crudites), shrimp and corn chowder, steel gray clam chowder, 2 hot lobster rolls, a lobster dinner complete with a 1.5 lb lobstah, cole slaw and chips (don't forget the bib), stuffed clams and crab cakes.





The only disappointment was the roasted corn. Considering that, last weekend, I drove up and down the long island farm stretch for an hour looking for a farm stand that had roasted corn despite the downpour, I had high hopes. Abbotts roasted corn is generally average but the French in me will use any reasonable vegetable as an excuse to eat drawn butter so I ordered...Turns out that cooking corn, removing it from heat, and then cooking it again renders it totally and utterly disgusting. More than the taste (could just be a bad ear) was the texture. Just plain overcooked. Too bad.


Easily distracted by shiny things and things with claws full of succulent lobster meat, I didn't have to cope with Corngate 2009 for long.


Both chowders were very good, but I think i'll always prefer the thinner-than-usual clam chowder, seemingly made with actual sea water (in the best possible way). My mother and Mike each had a lobster roll (not my thing, i prefer the lack of bread and the carnage of a full steamed lobster any day), my Gram had crab cakes for the first time at age 81 and Rae Rae had stuffed clams.

Your eyes do not deceive you: that's a very special dog getting a tow in an inflatable raft. Peace out, Summer. It's an annual tradition for me at this little place (closes for the season on Columbus Day). Something about B.Y.O.B and picnic tables that I can't say no to. Perfect way to start, middle or end the summer if you've got a way to get there.

Say a little prayer for the lobster I spent a good 40 minutes devouring on Sunday...R.I.P. little dude, you were delicious.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with everything!!!!! It is one of my very favorite places. Go on a nice warm sunny day because it isn't quite the same in the rain! Excellent review and awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Hungry? Find some good eats.

counter


View My Stats