Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hello Punkin.



Let’s talk pumpkin. Pumpkin stuff to be exact. I realize that’s not really exact but bear with me. Da (roommate) and I have been recently consumers of mass amounts of pumpkin things.

Our day job is also sponsoring a pumpkin carving contest and pie baking contest (obviously, I’m a fan) so here’s to pumpkins:


Pumpkin beers: Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is awesome. I don’t have much else to say on the matter but it tastes like pumpkins without being sweet and still tasting like beer which is an accomplishment. Also enjoyed Punk’N which has good pumpkin taste but after one was almost sickening sweet. It's decent but get the Smuttynose if you can...There's also the Heartland Brewery's Smiling Pumpkin Ale (from NYC) if you're into the local thing.

Pumpkin Waffles are REALLY GOOD! add some puree to your batter next time.

Pumpkin Pancakes: Go to Enid's for brunch. They have a delicious version. Or make your own if you're not in North Brooklyn like I am.

Pumpkin Pie: who didn’t even believe I could cook or bake untilobviously, mine is the best. I will NEVER divulge my secret but even my dad, recently said, “This may be the best pumpkin pie I’ve ever had in my life.” Ok, but since we’re all not bff (actually, most of us are, I don’t have a huge audience, do i?), and you might not get to try my pie, I recommend the little pumpkin tarts at Whole Foods (whose blog recently did their own pumpkin entry... They are portioned to be a couple bites big so you don’t have to worry about…ahem…over-indulgence. They have a nice texture (not slimy, but moist) and a tasty soft, caramelized walnut topping.


Pumpkin ICE CREAM: This was a great idea, whoever had it. Bravo. Get some on the LES at Sundaes and Cones!

Pumpkins: yes, natural pumpkins. They grow in the ground…usually not in Brooklyn…but if you spit a few seeds, who knows what may happen. Here are a few recipes for interesting, toasty fall pumpkin recipes:

Pumpkin Bread from The Fresh Loaf

Real Pumpkin Pie (yes, with an actual pumpkin)

Canned Pumpkin Pie (cheating a little but still can be tasty)

Pumpkin Pie cheesecake (if you're a little suicidal)

And, although starbucks is my nemesis culturally and most likely ethically I would like to conclude with the glorious Pumpkin Spice Latte. Get the nonfat version. Hell, it’s even very (surprisingly) good iced. If you like pumpkin, try it. Personally, I like the hot version, and don’t get the whipped cream but do add the shake of spice on top. I’d love to have whipped cream all the time but hey, when you’re writing about

food, you have to cut corners every here and there to make sure you don’t look like you write about food. Dunkin Donuts has a pumpkin flavored coffee which will probably disappoint you if

you actually like a) pumpkins, or b) coffee.

(-->Pumpkin the cat approves this message.)

2 comments:

  1. Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale from Maine is very good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely Pumpkinhead, though the nutmeg wears you down after a few.

    ReplyDelete

Hungry? Find some good eats.

counter


View My Stats