Sunday, October 18, 2009

It's time to do an update when...

...your mother, who can barely use a computer, lets you know that you haven't updated your blog in "a while" even though it's only been 1 day.

So here we go:

This is The Bar Review, after all, so a bar review is in order.

The Turkey's Nest at the borders of Greenpoint and Williamsburg in Brooklyn, is a dive.



The Turkey's Nest is a bar that cards. I got carded in NYC for the first time possibly EVER. After this little boost to my self-esteem (they carded our 36 year old friend, as well). We wandered in. The bar is scattered with TVs with various sports games on, dart boards and, as a dive, is also equipped with Big Buck Hunter, decent music and the "frozen gargoyle" (i'll explain later).

But first, a story. We were out to celebrate. It was a friend of a friend's birthday. A potential new hire was out with us (all the way from Austin, TX) and, most obviously, it was the weekend. Drinks all around! So, 3 of us decide....since we're in brooklyn...that we'll order Manhattans.

me: Yep, can i get 3 manhattan's please?
bartender: Does that have vermouth in it?
me: Yeah.
bartender: Yeah, this isn't a fancy bar.

OK. I'm sorry! I was unaware that liquor that wholesales at about $5/bottle was fancy! Well, I digress. We order beer.

Except for my roommate, who orders a fretful Frozen Gargoyle. This is a frozen mixed drink. But instead of a margarita it's some concoction involving absinthe. My 5'6" roommate is a goner and after several drinks before this, ends up spending the rest of the night shooting at the shrubbery in Big Buck Hunter. He does not remember this. Or the mile walk home. But it's all good. Supposedly absinthe, in its American-acceptable form, does not contain enough wormwood to have any hallucinogenic qualities, but weighing in at 100-proof, it does pack an alcoholic punch. For whatever reason, I'm going to discard commonly accepted medical advice and report on behalf of both Da and myself, that it's still a mind eraser.

(This guy does NOT approve of frozen drink mix-->)

The Turkey's nest is a pretty fun time. Surprisingly minimal hipster presence and uncrowded, just don't order anything "fancy."

1 comment:

  1. Yeah but I shot the crap out of those shrubs - if the big bucks don't have anything to eat, it makes them weaker and easier to shoot later. Duh.

    ReplyDelete

Hungry? Find some good eats.

counter


View My Stats